Stacking the Shelves: March 2014

Sunday 30 March 2014

Stacking the Shelves is a book haul hosted by Tynga's Reviews.

Hi gang! Unfortunately, I haven't been too active this month due to university assignments and a short reading slump of some sorts. But I've been doing a ton of planning and scheduling for next month, which is LGBT month! I'll be reviewing books and films that feature LGBT characters, so you should stick around if you're interested.

After reviewing a couple of older films for next month, I've been thinking about whether I should return to reviewing old films or just sticking with reviewing only new releases. The problem with reviewing only films that are in the cinema is that there isn't always something that I want to watch and I can't really afford to be going to the cinema every single week (plus, I'd gain a ton of weight from eating so much popcorn). So, as you can see, I've placed a poll in the sidebar since I'd like to know which you guys would like to see.


Bought this month:


Since next month will be LGBT Month, I've bought quite a few books that discuss the topic, but I do have two more that will be released next month. I'm really looking forward to the event and already have a few posts scheduled! I didn't want to review only contemporary fiction so I made sure to get a couple sci-fi/fantasy LGBT books too.

Borrowed from the library:
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
(The edition that I read wasn't listed on Goodreads and I couldn't get a picture of it -_-)
I studied one of Hemingway's short stories last semester and kind of liked it so I've decided to try more of his work and found quite a few of them in my university's library. 

Most exciting non-bookish purchase:

I went to Comic Con! Not one that's particularly huge, but we never have real conventions up in the North East, which is where I live so it was really exciting. I got a copy of Metal Gear Solid at one stall that was selling retro games (I'm going to get a console next year because there's tons of old games that I want to play, so I'll either get a SNES or a N64) and I also got some pins that were 4 for £3, as well as a Catching Fire necklace and a Dexter poster that I need to find room for.

There was a lot of good cosplay there, but I think the best that I saw was a whole family cosplaying as Goku, Chichi, and Gohan from Dragon Ball Z. The mum and dad were dressed as Goku and Chichi, while their baby was dressed as Gohan. I don't know if they won the contest, because we left to have another look around before they announced who won. Maybe I'll cosplay someday (probably as Debra Morgan, since once girl was Abby from NCIS)!
Did you get any goodies? Leave me a link and I'll make sure to pop by!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.