Horror Books that I Desperately Want to Read

Wednesday 22 October 2014

When I was picking out my TBR for this month, I realised that there are more horror books that I really, really want to read. Obviously, there are even more than the eight I've listed here, but these are the horror books that I really desperately want to read some time in the future. Or even now, if I had the time.

(image source)

 
The Dead Zone | Forever Odd | Anno Dracula | The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories | Psycho | This is Not a Test | Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children | Goosebumps series

The Dead Zone - Stephen King - I've actually read about half of this book when I was about thirteen or fourteen and constantly renewed it from the library, but for some reason I just took it back and never got it out again. I still don't know why I did that. But, I've been looking for it for years, and my parents got me a surprise copy for my birthday, and I'm definitely itching to read it soon!

Forever Odd - Dean Koontz - I read the first book in the Odd Thomas series over the summer, and even though it took me quite a while to finish it, I really enjoyed it. So much that the ending absolutely destroyed me. Seriously, I haven't read a twist ending like that in such a long time (when I finally get around to watching the film, it'll crush me all over again). I'm definitely in desperate need of continuing this series!

Anno Dracula - Kim Newman - It's got Dracula in it. Duh.

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories - H.P. Lovecraft - My cousin recommended Lovecraft to me when he was reading a collection of his short stories, and after doing a bit of hunting around, the Cthulhu mythos is the one that stands out the most to me. Plus my cousin said that Lovecraft's work tends to be scary, and he can handle some pretty scary crap. My only little issue is that I've heard that Lovecraft was a terrible racist, and I'd have to try my best to separate artist and art with this (I still haven't gotten around to Ender's Game  for  a similar reason, and also because I refuse to buy a copy).
Psycho - Robert Bloch - I watched Hitchcock's film version of Psycho last year, and I absolutely loved it, so reading the book is a total must for me.And also, my short story that I wrote for uni last year was partly inspired by the film, so yeah.
This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers - I'm not too fussed about zombies, but I've heard so many awesome things about This is Not a Test, that I'm just itching to give it a whirl. Fingers crossed that I'll get to read it sometime soon!
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs - I've seen this one floating around the blogosphere quite a few times, and it really does interest me. I don't actually know anything about Miss Peregrine, and for now I hope to keep it that way, and I might just have to go into this blind!
Goosebumps series - R.L. Stine - I might have been born just a little too late for Goosebumps to be a part of my childhood, because I have only read about a quarter of one book in this series (it was Monster Blood, I remember it kind of well), and that was when I was at school. 

Do you have any recommendations for me? Are there any horror books that I haven't mentioned here that I MUST read?

3 comments

  1. THAT GIF. *dies*

    Might need indeed. Most of these books are on my to-read list as well, which I have to admit is impossibly huge now. It breaks my heart how I'll never get to read all the books on that list. D: Okay, not going to give my thoughts in order, but about the Goosebumps series -- YOU TOOOO?! I was born too late to be in R.L. Stine's era, too! By the time I really got reading amazing books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson were at the top of the charts, haha. So I definitely want to give that series a go and see what all the fuss is about.

    This Is Not A Test -- GO READ IT. It's one of my ultimate favorites. The only thing is that I'm not exactly sure it can be classified as horror. While zombies are a part of the story, they're not the main focus. That was what I liked so much about the book, though. It was so different from other zombie novels and has stuck with me even though I read it about two years ago. Courtney Summers is the best.

    The main reason why I want to read Miss Peregrine's is because of the creepy-ass pictures inside. :P Okay, and maybe the plot does intrigue me quite a bit. But -- PICTURES! And they look really realistic, too.

    I think I must be the only person alive who hasn't read anything by Stephen King. Kind of ashamed about that, but I have a copy of The Shining on my shelf so I'm hoping to get to that soon. I'm really excited to see how the book will scare me, because I don't scare easily. Not when it comes to literature, at least. Movies are an entirely different story. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not a test takes a very different approach on zombies. I think you will like this. It's more about the tension than about the zombies itself. Miss Peregrine was great, my review will be up soon. There was a nice haunting atmosphere in the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.