I Didn't Have Enough to Make a Top 10 List | My Favourite Christmas Movies

Monday 8 December 2014

My Favourite Christmas Movies

When it's Christmas, there's always one thing that dominates TV: Christmas movies. I haven't seen every single Christmas movie that's ever been created because I personally prefer to be able to watch movies all year round and not just specific ones at certain times in the year. But I do have my favourite Christmas movies.

My original plan for this post was to make a top ten list, but when I was putting a list together, I realised that there are still tons of movies that I have yet to see, and I only managed to come up with six. Hence the title of this post. So, with a very quick change of plans, here's my favourite Christmas movies, in no particular order!

Will Ferrell in "Elf" (2003)
Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken in "Batman Returns" (1992)

This is so totally a Christmas movie. It is because it takes place at Christmas and I said so. I really like the Tim Burton Batman movies (not as much as the first two Nolanverse movies though), and out of the two this one is probably my favourite. Even though I really don't like Catwoman (don't ask me why, she just annoys me for some reason), I've just always liked this movie more than the first one, and I always make sure to rewatch this every year. And then I can torture myself by watching the Joel Schumacher movies (probably just Batman Forever though, because I don't have Batman and Robin and I don't think I could ever get through it again).
Hugh Grant in "Love Actually" (2003)

I'm usually a bit iffy about movies that have ensemble casts, but Love Actually is an exception to that, because it has everybody in it. Once you think you've seen every famous person imaginable, another one appears (even Ant and Dec are in this movie, so that shows how many people are in this), and if you're like me and must know who absolutely everybody is and what they were in, you can play a really fun guessing game for those cast members that you recognise, but you can't remember where from. Also there's Hugh Grant dancing to The Pointer Sisters, which is so funny.
Jim Carrey in "Dr Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (2000)

Jim Carrey is one of my favourite actors, and he's my favourite comedic actor, so everything I've seen him in is a total delight (even when he's not being funny, he's still really good). I've seen this live action version of The Grinch more than the original animated version (which is narrated by Boris Karloff), and even though I was never really a Dr. Seuss fan as a child because I don't remember ever being read them or reading them myself, I always search through the TV guides to see if this is on every year. There's nothing like seeing Jim Carrey so covered in special effects makeup to the point that you can't recognise him at all, but you still totally know that it's him.
Tim Allen in "The Santa Clause" (1994)

Out of all the movies I've mentioned in this post, The Santa Clause is the one that I've seen the least amount of times. Shameful, I know. But here's my reason: I can never find it on TV and I don't own the DVD, which I also can never find in the shops. But, if I do manage to find it on TV this year, I will definitely be watching it, because I haven't seen it enough. I think the main reason why I like this movie so much is because most of the Christmas movies that I've seen that center around an adult protagonist are love stories (except from Elf that is), whereas The Santa Clause isn't. I mean it is a family movie, but it's not too much of a family movie. If that makes sense.
Will Ferrell in "Elf" (2003)

Ready for story time? For about eight, maybe nine years, my brother had my copy of Elf stashed away in his room. I only knew that because he had a pile of discs on top of his PS2 and I found the disc there. Then I went searching through all of the boxes and found the box with the second disc in, so I took it back. This is the benefit of organising things so thoroughly: I always know when someone has taken something from my room. Anyway, I haven't seen too many Will Ferrell movies even though I like him, but this one is probably one of my favourites of his. It's just so funny to see this grown man who towers over so many people, dressed as an elf and walking around New York. I just have a thing for fish-out-of-water stories, and this is one of the funniest I've seen.
Macaulay Culkin in "Home Alone" (1990)

I have yet to meet somebody who either hasn't seen Home Alone, or didn't like it. It's just one of those movies that pretty much everybody loves, because everybody has that tradition of watching it every year when it comes on the TV. Or if they're like me and don't watch the movie when it's on TV because they have the DVD, they'll stick the DVD in for a millionth time. I've actually only seen the first movie in the series, and I'm aiming to watch Home Alone 2 this year since I didn't know that we had it. I'll probably not venture into the third and fourth movies though. Apparently they suck.

What are some of your favourite Christmas movies?

3 comments

  1. Love Actually is one of those movies I watch almost every year around Christmas. The same with the Grinch, because I love the rhyming texts. This is one of the movies where I can accept Jim (yeah, sorry, not a fan..) I saw Elf for the first time last year (!!) and I fell in love with it. I also like to watch A nightmare before Christmas - even when it's more for the Halloween. I like to watch Disney movies all year around, but Christmas is the perfect time to do lots of marathons :D The rise of the Guardians is also very fitting, with bad-ass Santa Claus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have yet to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas; I watched a little bit of it in art class at school but the teacher skipped through the entire opening credits and then we couldn't watch the rest because we had to go to our next class. And I watched Rise of the Guardians earlier this year, their Santa is definitely the most bad-ass Santa ever!

      Delete
  2. YES to all of these Louise! There are so many great Christmas movies, but I think Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Home Alone are probably among the top contenders. Thanks for sharing, and great post! ♥

    ~Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.