Top 10 Retellings I Want to Read

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Retellings are something that have interested me for a long time now, and I've wanted to get into them really badly, but for some reason I still have yet to get around to it. Not all of these books are fairy tales because I tend to be very fussy over what I label as a fairy tale (for example, to me, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and even Tarzan (especially Tarzan) are not fairy tales because they're novels that haven't been passed down for centuries and there's only one written version of them), and also there are some interesting-sounding retellings that aren't based on fairy tales. And also, because I'm a dirty cheater, I've included two fairy tales that I want to read as retellings!


The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - So far I have only read Cinder from this series, and I want to read the rest soo badly! I know that Winter is coming out soon and I've got a bit of catching up to do before it does. (gotta get some money first tho...)

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson - Currently I have this book marked down as DNF, but it's not an indefinite DNF. I will be coming back to this some day!

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas - I'm not too familiar with Beauty and the Beast (i'd watched the disney movie for the first time last month), but I have seen a lot of people raving about this book, and Sarah J. Maas is an incredibly popular author, so of course I'd want to read this!

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige - I'd been conflicted on whether or not to buy a copy of this book because it's been published by Full Fathom Five and Danielle Paige did side with Kathleen Hale on the big stalking controversy, but I actually do own a copy of the book and I'm starting to psych myself out of reading it so I will stop. I love The Wizard of Oz though.


Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis - So far I've only read one Snow White retelling, and it was... not something that I want to read ever again. (the snow child by angela carter, if you're curious) Stitching Snow, however, sounds a million times better than that so I'm definitely looking forward to reading it!

Splintered by A.G. Howard - When I was little, Alice in Wonderland was one of my favourite movies (even though I still haven't read the original books) and I've wanted to read Splintered for suuuuch a long freaking time now. And so many people rave about this so of course I've got to read it!

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge - Another Beauty and the Beast retelling! This is another book that I've seen some pretty good reviews of, and I can't help having full-blown cover lust with this. That cover is just gorgeous!

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman - I own a signed copy of this book (didn't notice until i got home and saw the sticker that said 'signed by the author') and I am seriously kicking myself for not having read this sooner. Why? Freakin' Dracula, man. That's why. I've been obsessed with Dracula since I read it when I was 14, and an alternate universe version of it just sounds like the bees knees. I will be getting around to this one hopefully very soon because I'm writing vampire stories for my final portfolio and I plan on doing a lot of research. And by research, I mean reading vampire books.


Okay, first things first: I am very much aware that Anne Rice wrote a series based on Sleeping Beauty, but I honestly don't want to touch that with a dirty pole. BDSM Erotica is not my thing at all, especially not when it involves adults having sexual feelings for teenagers and the whole series opening up with what is basically a rape scene. No thank you. Moving on though, Sleeping Beauty is my favourite fairy tale (mainly because it involves sleep, one of my favourite things to do that i don't do enough) and I don't know of any YA retellings of it. There probably is, but I haven't found it!

Another one of my favourite fairy tales is The Little Mermaid and I have yet to see a retelling of it! Like I said above, there probably is a YA retelling out there somewhere, so if you know of one, let me know!

What are some of your favourite retellings?
What retelling do you want to read or would like to see happen?
© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.