Horror Books That I Desperately Need to Haunt My Nightmares

Sunday 4 October 2015


Last year I listed what horror books are on my TBR, and naturally, that TBR has grown in the space of a year. I'm now growing more and more accustomed to things of a more morbid nature, after reading so much fluff, and I'm 100% ready to dive back into darker things. So, without further ado, here are some more books on my ever-growing horror TBR!


Lovecraft - Duh.

Poe - Double duh.

Carrie by Stephen King - Wanna know a secret? I picked up this book because it was the shortest King book that I could see in the store. I'm starting to see that shorter books can be just as good as longer books, and also I'm pretty intimidated by long books. Also, I'm lazy. Anyway: Carrie. It sounds pretty darn good.

The Dead Zone by Stephen King - I've actually already read about half of this book, but that was around about six years ago, so I've probably forgotten most of it by now. I'd spent years looking around bookshops for it, because for some reason every one I looked in didn't have it (and i was too impatient to look online for it), but then last year my parents got me a copy for my birthday, and I still haven't opened it yet. Oops.


The Shining by Stephen King - So far, I've DNF-ed this book twice because, according to a guy I know, I'm a little too impatient and need to push myself because it does get interesting. I will try to finish this book one day because I've actually owned a copy for around about eight years. Yeah, eight.

Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz - I've only read the first book in this series, and I have almost all of them on my shelves because I'd planned on marathoning the rest of the series (it's seven books long, but I think I could do it), but that still has yet to happen. But, I am determined to finish this series because I loved the first book so, so much.

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Graheme-Smith - This book has been sitting on my shelves for years, and I keep telling myself that I'll get around to reading it someday, but obviously that day never arrives. I also have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I probably won't read that one because I'm not keen on zombies. And by "not keen" I mean that I think they're boring. Yep.

Psycho by Robert Bloch - I love the movie version of this book (in fact, it's one of my favourite movies) so I'm genuinely surprised that I haven't read this book yet. I do aim to finally read it this month though, because it is fairly short and doesn't look too intimidating.


The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris - This book is a horror, right? It's about a serial killer and a dude who eats people, so I'm going to go with yes, this is a horror. I've read Red Dragon, which I really really enjoyed, so of course I'm going to continue on with it. Plus, I'm planning on watching the movie adaptation this month, so naturally I've got to read the book first.

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman - Dracula in an alternate universe. I have nothing more to say on this matter.

Asylum by Madeleine Roux - It's called Asylum. That title alone just screams creepy.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice - Triple duh.


Ellie Jordan series by J.L. Bryan - I've got a bit of catching up do to with this series, and I'm kicking myself because this is one that I really do enjoy. I'm not all too familiar with ghosts, and I never was interested in them before, but thanks to this series, I have taken a liking to stories that involve ghosts.

Insanity by Cameron Jace - I'm getting big American McGee's Alice vibes from this book, so I've just got to give it a look.

Another Little Piece by Kate Kayrus Quinn - The reviews that I've seen for this book have been pretty good, and I'm always a sucker for a good mystery, so of course I'm going to check this one out.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison - Hooray! A comic (the day that i apologise for being a dc girl in an ocean of marvel fans will be the day that i am put in my grave)! I'm not 100% sure if this book counts as being horror, but anything that takes place in Arkham Asylum has the potential to be really unnerving, so I'm counting it.

What horror books are on your TBR, if any?
Are there any specific horror books that you're almost dying to read?

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.