Romance Books on My LGBT+ TBR 🌈

Thursday 2 February 2017


Even though I'm a single pringle and Valentine's Day means almost nothing to me, I do like to read romance books during February. However, one of my resolutions for this year was to read more diverse books and I had the idea that throughout February I would read LGBT+ romances instead of the het stuff I'd been reading in the past. I will admit that sometimes I whine about how "there's no diverse books that I want to read", but that's my own fault because I haven't dug deep enough to find diverse books to read, and I plan on seriously changing that. I have a tendency to use "romance" pretty lightly as it could mean that just has a bit of an emphasis on a romantic relationship between characters, so not every book on this list will be strictly romance.


Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan - I actually DNF'd this book a few years back because I considered it to be "too sugary and rainbowy". Looking back, past me had a pretty terrible reason for not finishing it. It's an M/M romance so of course it's going to be "rainbowy". This time I'm willing to give it another chance because not only have I grown up since then, I've got more of a taste for fluffy romances now (at least i'm hoping that this book is fluffy).

Ash by Malinda Lo - Yay for retellings and double yay for LGBT+ retellings! I haven't read any of Malinda Lo's books yet (i still have Adaptation on my tbr pile, oops) but I have heard good things about them, so I definitely want to read them.

One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva - I'm always on the lookout for funny romances, and from what I've heard this one combines two of my favourite things in romance books: humour and adorable-ness. Also, the main character is of Armenian descent so we get bonus points for racial diversity!

Our Own Private Universe by Robin Talley - You know what really warms my heart? When bisexual people are represented in the media. I'm constantly on the lookout for things that feature bisexual characters because I feel like they can be either underrepresented or badly represented in the media (i.e. bisexual boys are portrayed as closeted gay boys and bisexual girls are either promiscuous or "just experimenting).


Honestly Ben by Bill Konisberg - I read Openly Straight a couple years ago and just liked it. It was enjoyable but I didn't find it spectacular, so I'm actually surprised with myself that I'm looking forward to the companion book. The characters were the best part of the first book and even though there will be new characters in this book, I'm still excited to see returning characters be expanded on.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SΓ‘enz - Raise your hand if you remember all of the rave reviews this book got πŸ™‹ I'm obviously very late to this party (as i always am, but keeping up with new releases gets overwhelming sometimes), but so many people love this book that I just have to see for myself why.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson - I was a little confused as to whether there was any romance in this book since the main characters are siblings, but there is a M/M romance in this so on the list it shall go! This is another book that got rave reviews and I'm late too, but that's okay because better late than never.

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour - The first thing that drew me to this book was the gorgeous cover (of course) but what really got me is that this book has a F/F romance which is something that I don't read a lot of and really want to read more of so I'll definitely be getting my mits on a copy sometime soon (i hope).

What books with LGBT+ romances would you recommend?

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read every single one I receive and make sure to return as many as possible ❤️ If you want me to participate in a tag feel free to tag me (no awards, though, please)!

© Exploring by Starlight. Design by FCD.